Fantastic wildlife watching opportunities.
Exploring South East Queensland by Kayak
The Brisbane River is a river with four characteristics. The first is a small farmland stream that rarely flows down into Lake Wivenhoe. The second is the largest lake in South East Queensland. The third is a usually gentle flowing stream that feeds water to the Mt Crosby Water Treatment Station that supplies over half of the region's drinking water. And finally the last main section is the lower tidal river that flows through Brisbane giving it the honourable nickname of the River City. The latter three offer paddlers a varied experience to explore this important river.
There are a large number of freshwater lakes and reservoirs to explore. Of the 23 lakes controlled by SEQWater, 16 are open to the public and have well maintained day use areas at most lakes. There are a number of natural coastal lakes around Noosa, the two largest being Weyba and Cootharaba lakes. A number of other smaller lakes can be found along the Noosa River that also passes through Lake Cootharaba.
- Lake Wivenhoe, Brisbane River
- Lake Somerset, Stanley River
- Advancetown Lake (Hinze Dam), Nerang River
- Lake Samsonvale (North Pine Dam), North Pine River
- Lake Wyaralong, Teviot Brook
- Lake Moogerah, Reynolds Creek
- Lake Baroon (Baroon Pocket Dam), Obi Obi Creek
- Lake Borumba, Yabba Creek
- Lake Maroon, Burnett Creek
- Atkinson's Lagoon, Buaraba Creek
- Lake Clarendon, Lockyer Creek
- Lake Manchester, Cabbage Tree Creek
- Ewen Maddock Dam, Adlington Creek †
- Lake Kurwongbah, Sideling Creek
- Tingalpa Reservoir (Leslie Harrison Dam), Tingalpa Creek †
- Lake Cooloolabin, Rocky Creek †
- Lake MacDonald, Six Mile Creek
- Lake Dyer (Bill Gunn Dam), Laidley Creek
- Little Nerang Dam, Lt Nerang Creek †
- Wappa Dam, S Maroochy River †
- Enoggera Reservoir, Enoggera Creek
- Gold Creek Reservoir †
- Cedar Pocket Dam, Deep Creek †
- Poona Dam, tributary of South Maroochy River †
- Nindooinbah Dam, near Beaudesert †
- Lake Weyba, Weyba Creek
- Lake Cootharaba, Noosa River
- Lake Cooroibah, Noosa River
† Cedar Pocket, Ewen Maddock (Adlington Ck), Cooloolabin, Gold Creek, Harrison (Tingalpa Reservoir), Little Nerang, Nindooinbah, Poona and Wappa Dams are closed to water based activities.